Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Networking - only pain or some gain

I have heard everybody say that its all about 'networking' but I am still trying to understand how do I network efficiently? I assume its not just having small talk and exchanging business cards. Well, it is a learning process and I am trying my best though not sure if I am doing the right things.

For this very reason I went for the campus visit of Duke on 23rd Sept, 2011. I will post about it in detail in my later blogs. I drove 6hrs from Harrisburg all the way to Durham and am not sure of what I gained. I guess time will decide. I did meet a few wonderful people and I plan on staying in touch with them but again time will tell. Oh and I finally submitted my Duke application for the Early filing round, fingers crossed.

Today, I am going to attend a Forte Foundation Event Washington DC, lets see how that goes. It is a 2.5 hr drive for me and it has been raining since morning. At a time I even gave up on the event but I have finally pulled myself together and have decided to go for it. It is my first event so I have no idea what to expect. I will be leaving in another 20 mins. Will write about it soon.

PS: The parking at the hotel is 30$. Can't they provide prospective students free parking, we are already cutting a lot on expenses to save for school tuition. Wishful thinking !!

No comments:

Post a Comment