Thursday, June 21, 2012

TOEFL Preparation

If you are taking the TOEFL exam after the GMAT, it is a cake walk. Still, the format is different from GMAT thus it does need some training and practice.
My TOEFL Score: 114/120

Preview:
This test is required for all international students trying to get admission in a US school. I took the TOEFL iBT (internet based test) but there is an option to take the paper based test in areas where iBT is not available.

Structure:

  1. Reading - 3 to 4 passeges
  2. Listening - 6 to 9 passages
  3. Speaking - 6 questions
  4. Writing - 2 questions

Preparation:

  1. The Official Guide TOEFL iBT book is the winner all hands down. I think going through this book in its entirety is enough to get through the exam with flying colors.
  2. I strongly advise practicing the speaking section by speaking out loud and recording your voice. Later listen to your answer and repeat until perfect. For the speaking practice, I used a trial version of 'Audacity' software.
  3. Remember that unlike the GMAT exam, during the TOEFL test there will be a lot of noise as other test takers might be in the speaking section before or after you. I kept my headphones on throughout the test to help in some noise cancelling.
All the Best !!

No comments:

Post a Comment